Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recap of Christmas Morning 2010

     Christmas was morning was something different in our house this year as our children are NEVER awake before 9 a.m. Generally, we are up waiting on them to wake up - it's been that way for 11 years. There have been times when David has said, "Can I wake them up now?" Being a mom, I'm like "NO! You do not wake sleeping kids, are you crazy?" I have our children trained...they know how to sleep in! However, by 9 a.m. if I haven't let the poor man wake his children...he is driving me crazy.

     This year started at 5:30 a.m. as David had to wake early and go pick up a most special Christmas present for Brier, that had been hiding at the Carley's home, good friends of ours. Ashley even went with me on a couple road trips that were required for this gift. She's cool like that, and oh now that she has finally let the cat out the bag, I can tell you. She's expecting! Congratulations Jeff & Ashley!!!

     While we were searching for just the right one we resulted to calling it a "couch" - Brier had no clue what we were talking about! He thought we were going to get a new couch. Later, I decided we should just call it "Christmas" until further notice. Talk about confusing someone!

     So Christmas morning David went to pick up "Christmas". I couldn't get back to sleep. The excitement was eating me alive. So I got up. When he came in with "Christmas" we did our best to keep "Christmas" quiet as a mouse...but at 7:15 "Christmas" squealed rather loudly and Ashlynn bounded down the stairs as I grabbed "Christmas" and hid behind the couch - not wanting it to be Brier and ruin our plan.

     Ashlynn barged through the door, ignoring the mount of gifts under the tree and in the loudest whisper ever said, "Where is she?!"

     I came out of my hiding place with "Christmas" and Ashlynn wanted to know immediatley

     "Can we wake up Brier now?"

     Ashlynn is always the first awake and it has become her tradition to wake Brier up on Christmas morning. She does not always do it so nicely. One year she ripped the blankets off and another she jumped in the middle of his bed! Since she was extra nice this year in her "waking up Brier" tradition, next year she plans to shoot him with a dart gun! Somebody help me!!! That boy is gonna have to learn to beat that girl outta bed.

     Poor David...he shook his head and said, "We might as well, let me get the camera." like he wasn't excited! I know he was...I also think lack of sleep was making him wish he could take a nap firts. And so with camera's in hand, video and regular, the 3 of us, plus "Christmas" made our way ever so quietly up the stairs to Brier's room.

     Ashlynn was carrying "Christmas" and sat her right next to Brier's face...


     When my husband posted the video on Facebook this is what he said, "There's only one thing better than watching a little boy open his eyes on Christmas morning to the sight of a brand new puppy......the love and happiness in his eyes when he realizes the puppy is his. Priceless!" I cannot agree more.

     Several times through out the day Brier asked, "Do I get to keep her, forever?" The reality that she is all his was slow to sink in. Even now, he will say something like, "I get to keep her until she dies of old age". So I'm not sure he's fully grasped it all, but he's getting there.

     As you know from reading above we were calling her "Christmas" the reason for that was not only to confuse Brier, but because we wanted to allow Brier to name her whatever he wanted. He had full rein of picking out her name...which I will admit really scared me! Some suggestions from friends that new about the surprise were, "Tramp" and "Gaga" - because we already have a "Lady". I vetoed both those suggestions and did not mention them to Brier!

     What did he name her? ROXIE and not off the British show East Enders - we've never even watched that. The reason for the name is because it is a cool name and because she ROCKS! Brier is all about rockin' out. You should be here when he has his radio on....Lord have mercy! You could probably hear it for a city block.


     ...and now I'd like you to meet Roxie...


     As you can see she has made a wonderful addition to our home and even though we are not enjoying the potty training, the chewing of our hands and feet, or the puppy farts...we love her. She has a sweet nature as well as a playful one. She likes to snuggle as much as she likes to chew...and no matter how many chew toys she has...human hands and feet seem to be better. Brier dislikes this feature and his sensitive little heart takes it personal when she gets a little too rough. He loves it when she wants to snuggle though...of course all of us do, she is wearing us out!

     It is my prayer that she and Brier will become the best of friends. He's been needing a friend. He's had a rather rough year and there seems to be something special between a boy and his dog. So I am praying for the special connection with Brier & Roxie to form into something wonderful. Brier has already decided that when he grows up, he is going to work for the FBI and that Roxie will be his partner.

     So look out world Brier and Roxie will be on the case! Solving mysteries and crimes, finding drugs, and stopping the bad guys. That's his plan anyway...poor Roxie will be rather old by then...so if he sticks with that idea - Roxie may need a lot of prayers. :)

     We hope and pray all of you had a special Christmas this past year and that 2011 will be a wonderful and blessed year for you. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read our blog. I hope it made you smile, laugh, or even tear up (as some tend to do). Stop in again sometime, I love to read your comments.

     God Bless!

     Tonya VanWinkle

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...