Monday, July 5, 2010

Cycle 4 Health

Been awhile again I know - I've been trying to cycle my way to a healthier version of me! So have a read and if you feel like sponsoring us - please do, thank you!

July 3rd, 2010:

It started in early June when I began cycling to add a fitness routine into my life. My main goal was simply to lose some weight. The first time and first week, I only made it 5 miles. It was pretty windy and raining, but I thought this is England better get used to it now and carried on. I was really disappointed in myself. I had an 8 mile loop mapped out and I was hoping to complete the whole thing. I am a bit ambitious.

The second time and second week (weather warmed up), I made the full 8 mile loop! I felt empowered! I was so excited that I had made it. By the end of that week I had 24 miles under my betl, for a total of 29. I was cycling every other day and feeling good about it.

Then Lesley mentioned she'd like to cycle with me because she would also like to lose some weight. On week 3 Lesley began cycling with me. She made the whole 8 mile loop the first time. I was impressed and slightly jealous. I am also rather competitive. Lesley was even ready to up the mileage, so for our next ride we went 11 miles. At the end of the week we'd done 27 miles.

That Saturday the ambitious part of me took hold and I mapped out a crazy 20 mile loop and was determined to make it. I did. My legs felt like jelly and I didn't know if I would ever have feeling in my bum again. I was sooooooooooo sore! It wasn't easy and I was exhausted the whole day, but empowered by the fact that I made it and didn't have to call my husband to come get me!

Week 4 has been a bit stressful as neither of us have been aviable to cycle. We managed two rides together this week and it shows! Not only in mileage but in the way we felt. We rode 7 miles on Wednesday and 8 miles today. It was slow going, both our legs were sore.

I did manage to get in an extra 10 miles by cycling with my children to school on Thursday for their sports day challenge. It is much easier to cycle with an adult than two children, but we made it and they completed their challenge. 2.5 miles is a lot for a 10 and an 8 year old I do believe and they had to ride it back as well. So even my children cycled this week 5 miles.

During this week in our spare moments Lesley and I have been researching cycle routes. I've looke online and Lesley has asked cyclists that come into the George & Dragon Pub, where she helps her parents out at, about their routes. We've picked up some maps, made some plans, and are ready to go again.

Not only that someone mentioned that we should ride for donations to charities. So we looked up a site called Just Giving and set up a page as well as a Facebook group page. We also got in touch with St. Nicholas Hospice Care to see how to go about collection donations for them, and they put the information in the mail to us straight away.

We have now planned a 28 mile ride called The Jockey's Trail for the 14th of August and the donations will go to St. Nicholas Hospice Care. Training begins Monday! We are going to aim to ride each day instead of every other and extend our mileage each time. Hopefully we can not only extend our distance, but our personal endurance and speed.

I know we are not the fastest cyclist out there and we don't aim to be, but we do have time limits to reach. We simply desire to get fit and if we can donate to the health and well being of others at the same time - even better!

So to date: Lesley and I have cycled together for 42 miles. I have cycled a total of: 101, boy that makes me look good! haha I did have a head 29 mile head start and I threw in that 20 mile ride, plus the 10 with the kids - it does add up.

Umm...I wonder how competitive Lesley is? :-)

July 4th, 2010

Hello

We are taking part in the The Jockey's Trail on 14/08/2010 to raise money for St Nicholas Hospice and we'd really appreciate your support.

It's easy to donate online with a credit or debit card - just go to my JustGiving page:

http://www.justgiving.com/Cycling4Health

JustGiving sends your donation straight to St Nicholas Hospice and automatically reclaims Gift Aid if you're a UK taxpayer, so your donation is worth even more. We hope you'll join us in supporting St Nicholas Hospice.

Thank you.

Tonya & Lesley

July 5th, 2010

Did our 8 mile ride this morning. We were doing really good, keeping it above 10 mph until Lesley's gears got all messed up. We finally got that sorted and now I think we will be ready to go again Wed. morning. We've been sponsored 85 pounds so far, 34%of the way there. Lesley says if someone sponsors 100 pounds before 12 a.m. she will double the mileage...guess that means I'd have to do it too! Cheeky girl! Oh, well...is for a good cause right? I'd like to see a 100 pounds donated though - I promise you Lesley only said that cause she doesn't believe that it could happen. Right you cheeky girl? :)

You can also keep up with us on facebook: Cycle 4 Health

It could get commical!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...