Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas 2009!

It’s that time of year again...

The tree is up, the lights are hung, & the cards are...well I’m behind again. I must admit it doesn’t feel like December here. I can’t believe Christmas is only two weeks away! Yesterday the weather was so nice, I was out in jeans & a T-shirt. Today is cooler, but there is no snow. I’m not sure we will get any. Our experience with England snow last February was something else. It was like the whole country shut down over 2 or 3 inches of snow. All the stores, businesses, & schools we closed. We thought it must have really come down. Sadly, when we stepped out side, the snow barely cover the rim of our shoes & we wondered; “What is this! This isn’t snow!!!” Definitely not enough for all those cancelations. It did cover the ground though & was very pretty for a short little while. It seems rather odd to miss snow, doesn’t it? But what is Christmas without snow?



Christmas is my favorite Holiday, even with it’s wintery chill. It is also the time of year I battle the “blues” the most. I find it more difficult here. The snow is missing & so are the holiday lights, but the biggest thing missing is our families. I am not complaining. I love our home & the opportunities we are given by this way of life. Yet, it does have one BIG downfall. The fact that we are not as able to be home for the Holidays with our families is sometimes saddening.


The last Christmas we were able to spend at home with family was amazingly & wonderful. I treasure it dearly & reflect on it often. It helps me beat the blues this time of year & warms my heart inside out no matter the weather. So here’s to warm hearts & a Merry Christmas!


Love, Tonya


A British New Year Celebration

Last year, we celebrated the New Year at the Pub next door with our new British friends and had a wonderful time. I admit it was rather different though. In the States we watch the ball drop from Time Square on the T.V. Here they watch the count down by way of Big Ben. Then they shoot fireworks off of the London Eye! It was awesome!

It looked majorly crowded in London though, just like it does in New York. It would probably be a really cool experience, but I don’t know if I could handle that massive crowd. When the clock struck 12 we all popped these silly little party poppers - it was fun. After that everyone (British thing - I assume - cause I'd never experienced it) went to each person and wished them a Happy New Year by placing a Kiss on their cheek.

***WARNING*** If you are not careful or not paying attention they will kiss your lips! No it did not happen to me - Luckily, I was warned. Lastly, you all get in a line and hold hands; chris-cross like. Then you sing this song, no I don't know what it is...nor do I know the words, but it was fun and it felt like one big happy family. It was really great and we loved it. We are looking forward to it again this year.

A Year in Review



  • January we celebrated David’s 36th birthday & a few days later drove 3 hours South to pick up the newest member of our family; Lady. She is a 3-year-old Golden Retriever. She has made herself a part of the family in every way & everyone in the Village knows who she is. We really got lucky with her. While we were down there we also took in the sight of Stonehenge. What the locals say about it is true. “It is a neatly shaped pile of rocks that all the tourist flock to see”.



  • February, Ashlynn received her first Valentine gift, it was really sweet. She also entered a contest to have her drawing as the cover of a book. She did very well, but sadly did not win. And we got extremely soaked in some England rains! Sometimes an umbrella is just useless.



  • March, we went to a travel fair on base & got loads of information on things to do & see. We will never accomplish it all, but we will have fun trying. We took the kids to Woburn Safari Park - a drive through zoo. They really enjoyed it, but were disappointed that the monkeys did not climb on our car. We also experienced Red Nose Day. It’s a fundraising event using comedy & the money goes to the fight against poverty. I believe we American’s need to improve on our “dressing up” skills, because let me tell you what - the British know how to get it done!



  • April, oh boy - I don’t have enough room to tell you all about it! We went to Italy!!! I could spend forever in Venice. It was so heavenly. We stayed on Lido Island, which was very quiet. We walked around Murano Island (known for glass blowing). Then we traveled to Rome, Florence, & Pisa. Rome was worth it, but not one I’d choose to do again. Now, Venice - that’s another story! We’d all love to go back there. We did however see many wonderful & historical things in Rome. Mainly the colosseum. We didn’t do much in Florence & of course we did go see the leaning tower of Pisa! Italy was so wonderful. I never dreamed I’d go there - let alone live in England. Oh & I turned 29...30 here I come, ready or not.



  • May, David deployed. We were really sad that he had to deploy so soon after our move. The kids & I, with some friends, went to the Medieval Festival here in the Village. The kids really enjoyed shooting the bow & arrows. They also had something here in the Village called, “Start the ball rolling”. What they do is stand at the top of the hill & roll their ball down the hill. Whomever’s ball goes the furthest wins. This is another fundraiser. Ashlynn was also in a tag rugby tournament - which was a lot of fun. This is similar to flag football. I bought the kids new bikes. Then we celebrated Brier’s 7th birthday. He had his first real party. He wasn’t sick & it wasn’t a Holiday here! He was very upset that Daddy missed his birthday & we didn’t get to go camping, but the bouncy castle eased some of the pain.



  • June, Brier & I went to Orford Castle with some friends of ours while Ashlynn was at a birthday party. The pub had a coach trip planned to Great Yarmouth & since I wouldn’t have to drive, I signed me & the kids up to go. There were rides for the kids, good food, & the seaside all in one spot. We had a really nice time with everyone. The Morris Men dancers also came to the pub & performed their dance. Ashlynn even danced with them. It was VERY interesting.



  • July, we said goodbye to our first friends here as they moved back state-side. We saw Alice in Wonderland at Oxbourgh Castle. Then my Mom came out to visit & we had a blast! We did so much stuff while she was here that the kids & I hibernated for 3 weeks after she left! We spent 3 nights in London & saw as many sights as we could squeeze in. We took 2 coach tours: One to the City of Bath & the other to Stratford upon Avon & Warwick Castle. We went to Sandringham, the Queen’s summer retreat, & Mom & I had a girls night & went to see Dirty Dancing LIVE in London. It rocked! I’d go again & again. Sadly, we said goodbye to a wonderful man this year; Jim, David’s step-dad. He was one of a kind, you couldn’t help but love him.



  • August, we took a little road trip to Sutton Hoo for another Festival. It was a nice outing & the kids enjoyed getting their faces painted. David & I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary...in two different countries, but he did send me some lovely flowers!



  • September, the kids are back in school and David has returned home safe & sound!



  • October, David & I had a date night & went to see Grease LIVE in London...it wasn’t as good as Dirty Dancing, but that’s okay. We had a nice time. Ashlynn turned 10!!! She had a bowling party for her birthday & the girls slept over. David took the kids to a Haunted House on base, Brier got to see a real live Husky, & Ashlynn went Ice Skating for the first time.



  • November, we went to Bonfire night at the pub. It is their only Holiday in November. Ashlynn played the drums for the first time in a kids orchestra. We had a Thanksgiving meal, with too much food & not enough guests. I had some friends over scrapbooking!!! A duck mysteriously found it’s way into our house! And we put up our Christmas tree.



  • December, we’ve been decorating the house for Christmas & have hung some lights outside. It’s starting to look more festive. We went to David flight Christmas party & actually had a good time. Ashlynn sang in the school choir the same day for their Christmas Fayre, a shopping fundraiser. Now, we’re preparing brown paper packages, looking forward to celebrating Christmas & ringing in the New Year. God Bless everyone!


David, Tonya, Ashlynn, Brier, & Lady.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...